Dear Barron

Dear Barron,

Today was a big day. It was a day when you stood by and watched as your father became the 45th President of the United States. We would be fooling ourselves if we didn't acknowledge this win was highly contested and that some don't like your father let alone want him to be the President.

I remember when Bill Clinton was elected President. I was about the same age as his daughter and I was thankful I would never have to be in her shoes where people would be critical of me as a child, and still today, a few Presidents later, we adults have still not learned that lesson. Unfortunately, we the children of yesterday are the adults of today. I hope that we, the adults of today can raise our children to be better than that.

Earlier this year I heard that Rosie O'Donnell posed the question that you may have autism. I remember thinking, "if he does, I hope he knows he is loved". Today I heard that some people thought they were funny and made comments about you once again. I also watched as people I knew saw you today and worried about you, not as a citizen of the United States of America but as a child. Those people were mothers.

Barron, it doesn't matter if you are autistic or not. It makes no difference to me if you are intelligent or struggle to learn. What matters is the grace you have mustered to stand before the public in the eye of all the nation and be who you are.

I am a mom of 5, my youngest is autistic. She's not the gregarious second born that I have nor is she the long legged first. She is who she is and who she is meant to be and much like your amazing mother, I am fiercely loyal to her and to her abilities. If by chance you do in fact struggle in large social settings Barron, I think your being present today should be celebrated even more than a child who has no struggles. The videos of you playing peek-a-boo with your family allowed us to see that you, just like any other 10 year old is a child and that you are loved.

I can't imagine what it must be like to be preparing to finish a school year in NYC and move into the White House but I can imagine you will be just fine. It seems to me that you have more than any media outlet can provide. You have a mother who loves you and no matter if you are rich or poor, that is the first step in being who you were created to be.

May you find peace and strength in this journey.

Love,
A Mom in Jersey

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Still Mourning

The Earth Angels

Its Your First IEP, now what?